If your pets, livestock, or wild birds eat it, a bear will eat it. How do you store your pet and livestock feed? Here are some suggestions to keep bears out of feed:
- Feed pets indoors.
- If you feed pets outside, remove any uneaten food as soon as your pet has finished.
- Store pet food indoors or in a secure shed.
Livestock and livestock feed
Bears are often attracted to livestock feed and could end up feeding on the livestock, too. To reduce the risk of attracting a bear, follow these tips:
- Store chicken feed indoors or in a secure shed.
- Feed only a small portion of feed at any one time and keep the feeding area clear of spilled feed.
- Use a correctly installed and maintained electric fence to protect chickens, beehives or other small livestock.
Click here for directions on how to build an electric fence.